Shop till you drop



Indonesian loves to shop…

I have been reading so many stories about people from my country whenever they were traveling across the world.

Perhaps because we have this tradition to always bring souvenir gifts for our families, friends, and colleagues up to our neighbor.  I suppose bringing souvenir could be seen as:

A way to share our happiness that we have reached our destination and able to be back safely at home

Showing off that not only we are able to travel but still have spare money to buy gifts and shares them to so many people

Shopping on impulse… I like it, I buy it…or should I say I like it I buy them ALL!

Money overloaded… Confuse of having so much money so it would best to just spend them all…

Hahahaha… Kidding…

My friend told me about her parents who took a trip to Europe a couple of years ago with tour for elderly. That day, their bus was late entering Paris. Shops in Paris usually close around 5 PM. Their bus entered Paris approximately at 05.15 PM. The tour guide then called one of the biggest stores there and said like this, “Hey, I have with me a bus full with Indonesian people. Do you think you could open your store again just for them?” The manager agreed and the Indonesian people rushed in to the store and buy expensive items like buying candies. Yikes…

Other time, I was staying in this not so expensive hotel in Seoul with my friend. We decided to take city tour and the receptionist said the tour guide would pick us tomorrow. When they picked us, we were taken to this expensive hotel : LOTTE Hotel. We were amazed looking at that hotel and wondering who will join us exploring Seoul. It turn out, most of them are Indonesian people! And yes…they went to shop, shop and shop… Sighed… To entertain them, the sales person on this Ginseng’s shop even talks in Indonesian fluently! It seems Indonesian have been known for their thirsty for shopping even though with limited ability to speak foreign language. I do not know whether to feel excited that many foreign willing to take the trouble to speak in our language or simply embarrassed that most of us can’t speak even simple English!

I read on newspaper that big department stores around the world are preparing to have at least one staff who able to speak Indonesian. The goal is naturally to entertain these rich Indonesian customers so they can be persuaded to buy more and more…

The negative side from this most foreigners think that ALL Indonesian people are rich and easy to be lured to spend their money. I have heard one story from my friend when she visited other South East Asian country. She and her friends were taken to many souvenir shops but none of them spend their money to buy anything. The tour guide irritated by this then asked them what was the purpose of their coming to that country? When my friend answered that it was for relaxing the tour guide repeated their answer with expression of not believe them. My friend and her mates were eventually annoyed by that rude behavior and decided to not give any tip! My other friend once heard her tour guide saying, “Ah, you all Indonesian people are rich…”

If only they know that lots of us have to searching the internet to get cheap airplane’s fare, have to book a year before to have unbelievable cheap prize for airplane and hotel… Not all of us have a gold bar to be spent like crazy whenever we are out of town… Sighed…


3 Responses
  1. BabyBeluga Says:

    Perhaps it is still difficult to find good quality products in Indonesia for the money? My mom and sis love to buy made in USA clothes whenever they are here because of the quality and the price.


  2. emang udah terkenal tuh orang Indonesia hobi belanje2 ye..hehehe...


  3. bridge Says:

    @babybeluga you could be right. But buying for the whole neighborhood does not seems right, is it? Of course, why do I care... :D is their money ^_^

    @Cerpenis hahaha, di Israel juga katanya gitu ya... :D


Thank you for spending your time here... anything to say? Just drop a line... ^__^